Tiramisu - a classic Italian dessert which is made by soaking sponge fingers in a boozy concoction of Marsala wine and strong coffee. We love making this with Bad Hand Coffee’s Kahuna blend, it’s rich with hazelnut and cocoa flavours. Top with a grating of Only Coco chocolate for added indulgence.
20 g of ground Bad Hand Coffee
3 tbsp Marsala wine (optional)
70 g white sugar
500 g mascarpone cheese
250 g sponge fingers
20 g unsweetened cocoa powder
20 g Only Coco chocolate, grated
1. Prepare the coffee: add 20 g ground coffee into a cafetiere and fill it with 300 ml of hot water. Stir the coffee a couple of times, put the lid of the cafetiere on and wait for 4 minutes. Slowly push down the cafetiere filter and pour the coffee into a shallow dish. Add the Marsala wine to the coffee and stir.
2. Separate the egg whites from yolks and place the egg whites into a whisking bowl. Whip the egg whites until stiff- it should take around 3 minutes. Transfer the egg whites into another bowl, then clean and dry the whisking bowl (you will need to use it again). Place the egg yolks and sugar into the mixing bowl and whisk until the mixture becomes pale - for around 3 minutes.
3. Add the mascarpone cheese to the egg yolks and whisk slowly, slowly add the egg whites and use the spatula to gently fold the egg whites into the mascarpone mixture.
4. Dip the sponge fingers into a previously prepared coffee and place them in a ceramic baking dish/trifle dish.
5. Place the mascarpone cream on top of the sponge fingers.
6. Repeat with two more layers and finish with remaining mascarpone mixture over the last layer and top with the cocoa powder and grated Only Coco chocolate. Place in the fridge for a minimum of 3 hours before serving.