Spiced Crème Caramel
We’ve given crème caramel a winter twist by adding fragrant cinnamon, cardamom and cloves. Serve with The Shortbread Company mixed berry shortbreads for a gentle crunch.
150 g white sugar
3 tbsp water
250 ml double cream
150 ml full-fat milk
1 cinnamon stick
4 cardamom pods, crushed
4 whole cloves, crushed
1 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp ground ginger
1 vanilla pod, seeds scraped out
2 tbsp white sugar
The Shortbread Company Mixed Berries Shortbread
1. Heat 150 g sugar together with 3 tbsp of water in a medium size pan over a medium heat. Stir occasionally until sugar dissolves.
2. Keep the sugar over the heat (do not stir the sugar at this stage), and swirl the pan from time to time to ensure it heats evenly, until the caramel turns amber in colour.
3. Pour the caramel really carefully into 6 ramekins or 1 large cake tin.
4. Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas 4.
5. In a medium size pan, place the double cream, milk, cinnamon stick, cardamom pods, cloves, nutmeg and vanilla seeds over a medium heat and bring to boil. Remove from the heat, cover, and stand for 20 minutes. Bring back to boil.
6. Beat the eggs together with 2 tbsp of sugar and strain the hot milk mixture into the eggs, whisking constantly until well combined.
7. Pour the custard into previously prepared ramekins.
8. Place the ramekins into a deep baking tray, and pour hot water into the tray around the ramekins, until water reaches halfway up the sides of them.
9. Bake for 40 minutes until the custard has set. Timing depends on the ramekin's size and your oven. We used 100 ml ramekins.
10. Cool, remove from the water, cover with cling film and chill in the fridge overnight.
11. Invert onto small plates and serve with The Shortbread Company Mixed Berries Shortbread on the side.