Pavlova with Beeble Poached Pears
Beeble honey whisky combines with warming spices giving these poached pears a fragrant sweetness. We’ve added apple cider vinegar to our meringue to help stabilise the mix, producing a more impressive pavlova. Top with pecans and dark chocolate for added indulgence.
For the meringue:
4 egg whites
230 g caster sugar
1 tsp Ostlers Cider Vinegar
1 tsp cornflour
For the whiskey poached pears:
60 ml Beeble Honey Whisky
240 ml water
40 g brown sugar
1 tbsp ground cardamom
4 firm pears, peeled, halved, core cut out
500 ml double cream
2 tsp icing sugar
20 g pecans
10 g dark chocolate, grated
1. Preheat the oven to 110°C and line a large baking tray with baking parchment.
2. Using a pencil, mark out the circumference of a dinner plate on the baking parchment.
3. Place the egg whites into a stand mixer bowl and whisk until they form stiff peak, then slowly add the caster sugar, until the mixture is thick and shiny. It should take around 7 minutes of whisking to get the meringue to the right stage.
4. When meringue is ready, add 1 tsp Ostlers Cider Vinegar together with the cornflour. Whisk it gently again.
5. Spread the meringue inside the previously drawn circle and flatten the top slightly.
6. Place the meringue in a previously preheated oven and bake for 70 minutes. When ready, turn the oven off and leave meringue to cool completely.
7. Meanwhile, start preparing the pears.
8. Place the Beeble Honey Whisky, water, sugar and the cardamom in a medium size pot and bring to simmer. Stir gently until sugar dissolves. Add the pears (make sure they are fully covered) and boil over a medium heat for around 12 minutes until tender.
9. Remove the pears from the liquid, let them cool slightly and cut them in half.
10. Whip the double cream together with the icing sugar until thickened and just holds its shape – don’t overbeat it.