Mae Jum’s massaman curry paste has a gentle heat and slight sweetness. Here, we’ve paired the ready-made paste with aubergine and sweet potato, while a sprinkling of toasted coconut gives a gentle crunch.
Recipe adapted from Meera Sodha’s EAST
Mae Jum Massaman Curry Paste, 35g
Coconut milk, 800ml
Aubergine, 400g, cut into chunks
Sweet potatoes, 800g, peeled and cut into chunks
Dried coconut slices, to serve
Coriander leaves, to serve
Rice, to serve
1. Put a large pan on a medium heat and fry the curry pasta for 5 minutes until fragrant.
2. Add the coconut milk a little at a time stiring as you go.
3. Add the aubergine and let it bubble, then add the sweet potato.
4. Put the lid on and turn down till simmering. Cook for 20 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
5. Dry fry the coconut slices in a pan until golden.
6. Serve the curry with rice, top with the coconut and coriander leaves.