Masala chai is an Indian drink made by boiling black tea in milk, sugar and aromatic spices. Wonderful served at all times of day, we love sipping a cup of chai with samosas or gulab jamun.
1 whole cinnamon stick
7 cardamom pods
3 whole cloves
2 cm piece ginger, grated
2 tbsp Two Spoons Assam Tea
250 ml water
220 ml full fat milk
2 tbsp white sugar
1. Place the cinnamon, cardamom, peppercorns and cloves on a medium size pan over a medium heat. Roast the spices for around 2 minutes, stirring frequently until golden and fragrant. Transfer into a bowl to cool.
2. Place the cooled spices into the mortar and crush them with a pestle until a fine powder.
3. Alternatively, if using a food processor, place the toasted spices into the processor bowl and blend to a fine powder.
4. Transfer the spices to a medium size pot together with ginger, water and Two Spoons Assam Tea. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes.
5. Add the milk and sugar, cook for another 5 minutes..
6. Strain through a strainer and serve.