Bubbly and oily, focaccia bread is fantastic dipped into Gay Farmer olive oil, served with charcuterie or alongside burrata.
Lukewarm water, 800ml
Quince Farm Honey, 1tbsp
Dried active yeast, 1tbsp
Strong white bread flour, 1kg
Gay Farmer olive oil, ½ cup
Rosemary, 2-3 sprigs
Welsh Homestead Smokery sage or rosemary salts
1. In a large bowl, mix the water with honey and yeast. Leave with 15 minutes until bubbly.
2. Sift the flour and salt together in a large bowl. Make a well in the centre and pour in the yeast mixture. Mix well, then cover with a clean tea towel and leave in a warm place to double in size (around 1 hour).
3. After an hour, knock the dough down, cover again and leave for a further 30 minutes.
4. Pre-heat the oven to 225 degrees Celsius.
5. Oil a deep baking tray and place in the oven to heat up.
6. Carefully place the dough in the tray.
7. Pour over a drizzle of olive oil, and using your fingertips, press down the dough all over making small dimples.
8. Sprinkle over the rosemary and a few pinches of rosemary salt.
9. Bake for 30 minutes until golden and crisp underneath.