Butternut and Chilli Quesadillas
Spicy roasted squash, zingy pepper salsa and creamy black beans come together to create these veggie quesadillas - serve in the middle on the table and let everyone tuck in.
For the butternut squash :
1 small butternut squash (around 600 g), peeled, deseeded, and cut into small pieces, around 2 cm each
1 shallot, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tsp Chipotle paste
1 tbsp olive oil
½ tsp salt
For Pico de Gallo:
½ small onion, finely chopped
1 tbsp Pasquale's Peppers Rosso Maturo Chilli Peppers, finely chopped
250 g ripe, red tomatoes, finely chopped
10 g fresh coriander, finely chopped
1 tbsp lime juice
Pinch of salt
100 g grated Cheddar cheese
1 avocado, mashed
2 tbsp Pasquale's Peppers Rosso Maturo Chilli Peppers
120 g cooked black beans, rinsed and drained
1. Preheat the oven to 220°C/200°C fan/gas 7 and line a baking tray with baking parchment.
2. Place the pieces of butternut squash, shallot, garlic, chipotle paste, olive oil and salt in a medium size bowl, and mix. Transfer to a baking tray and bake for 30 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, in a medium serving bowl, combine the onion, Pasquale's Peppers Rosso Maturo Chilli Peppers, tomatoes, fresh coriander, lime juice and salt. Mix well, let the ingredients marinade while waiting for the butternut squash.
4. Remove the butternut from the oven, let cool slightly and mash with a fork.
5. Heat a large pan over a medium heat and brush it lightly with olive oil.
6. Place the tortilla in the pan, and sprinkle one-half of the tortilla with around 30 g of the Cheddar cheese. Top the cheese with a third of each: butternut, mashed avocado, Pasquale's Peppers Rosso Maturo Chilli Peppers, and black beans.
7. Fold the tortilla in half, and cook for 3 minutes until golden and crispy, then flip it, and cook until the second side is golden and crispy.
8. Remove from the pan, and repeat to make two more quesadillas.
9. Cut into 4 slices and serve with Pico de Gallo on and lime wedges on the side.